McDougall Art Gallery
The McDougall Art Gallery opened in 1932, funded by a gift of £25,000 by Mr. Robert E. McDougall. The new gallery’s collection was predominantly works from the Canterbury Society of Arts and a collection of artworks given to the city by local builder James Jamieson. The building covers 3 levels including a basement, ground and first floor.
Due to damage by the 2011 earthquakes, a fire report was required to satisfy Council that the building would comply with building code for fire with the removal of their current VESDA smoke detection system while repairs were made to the building. The VESDA system was unable to be maintained due to its age and that parts were no longer available.